Senior Acute Pharmacy Technician
Company: Banner Health
Location: Sun City West
Posted on: May 16, 2023
Sun City West, Arizona
1,000 SIGN-ON BONUS!
Pharmacy careers are better at Banner Health. We are committed to developing the careers of our team members. We care about you, your career today and your future. If you are looking to leverage your abilities - apply today.
Banner Del Webb Medical Center is an exciting , exciting environment where the pace is ambitious, and your impact is immediate. BDWMC is known for a positive working environment and supportive team who helps to educate and train staff in multiple areas. In addition, you will also have the opportunity to participate in committees outside of the various departments and Network with other facilities and departments. We have a robust ASHP-accredited Pharmacy Residency Program.
As a Senior Acute Pharmacy Technician, you will have the opportunity to work with an approachable and supportive of staff. You will have the tools to help educate and train in multiple areas of the pharmacy which include but are not limited to non- sterile, sterile, and hazardous compounding, Pyxis and technology, inventory management, billing and more. The ideal candidate has to have strong IV and compounding skills. This is a full time, evening shift opportunity working 5 8-hour shifts from 2:00pm-10:30pm including rotating weekends (every other weekend) and rotating holidays. Schedule subject to change based on business needs. Enjoy a flat rate $1/hour weekend shift differential and an 18%-night shift differential when applicable. We are a fast-paced work environment. Join us to be a part of this amazing team - apply today!
Excludes internal applicants.
Banner Del E. Webb Medical Center excels in providing extraordinary health care to residents of the northwest Valley of metro Phoenix and is recognized by U.S. News and World Report as one of Phoenix's Best Hospitals. With 390 licensed beds, the hospital provides a wide range of services, including acute medical and surgical services as well as intensive care, emergency and urgent care, inpatient/outpatient surgery, cardiac catheterization, neurology, orthopedics, oncology, urology, pulmonary, obstetrics and gynecology, extended care, outpatient diagnostic services, acute and outpatient rehabilitation and adult behavioral services.
This position will work under the supervision of the pharmacist performing routine duties in packaging, distribution, non-sterile compounding, and record-keeping of pharmaceutical supplies. Serves as a liaison between the customer and the pharmacist. Effectively uses pharmacy computer systems to investigate and respond to missing medication requests. Consistently demonstrates an ability to assess a situation, consider alternatives, and choose the appropriate course of action. Demonstrates proficiency in preparing compounded intravenous medications, total parenteral nutrition products, and chemotherapeutic agents within compliance with USP / . Ensures that the sterile compounding environment and all equipment are cleaned and maintained according to policy. May educate and train peer Pharmacy Technicians, Technician Externs, Technician Trainees, and Volunteers. Must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients.
1. Identifies medications and other items for reorder as necessary to maintain a continuous inventory of medications and supplies. Receives, checks-in, and restocks medications ordered through the wholesaler and other vendors verifying all quantities against invoices. Assesses practical ways to deal with shorted items and short-dated or unusable items.
2. Manages users within the automated dispensing technology database as per policy. Investigates discrepancies and troubleshoots malfunctions in automated dispensing technology.
3. Exhibits excellent interpersonal skills and is customer service oriented in all contacts with patients, visitors and staff. Responds to standard requests from internal customers. Interacts primarily with department personnel, cross-department personnel, internal customers, patients and physicians.
4. May use automated dispensing technology or requisition to restock medications to nursing and ancillary areas after checking by a pharmacist. When allowed by law and policy, and upon completion of proper training/competency assessment, may restock automated dispensing technology using barcode scanning verification devices. Restocks medications to all areas outside automated dispensing technology which may include but not limited to trays, code carts and emergency boxes.
5. Compounds non-sterile medication products. Understands and appropriately follows all product worksheets/recipes for documentation and check processes. Understands and adheres to all applicable USP compounding guidelines. Demonstrates knowledge of and consistently performs calibrations of equipment and accurately measures components for compounding. Repackages bulk medications into unit of use packaging. Completes accurate documentation of medications compounded and repackaged per policy.
6. Maintains a safe and clean working environment by complying with all policies, laws, and regulations. Performs quality control activities such as monthly nursing unit inspections and pharmacy section checks in a timely manner. Completes documentation of refrigerator temperatures, and equipment maintenance activities as required.
7. Ensures the proper use of garbing and compounding techniques in accordance with policies and has knowledge of basic principles within USP and USP , laws, policies, and procedures that pertain to compounding. Performs compounding and labeling of intravenous compounds and hazardous agents to include chemotherapy using proper sterile and aseptic technique as appropriate to the site of care. Understands the different product lines in sterile compounding (patient specific and non-patient specific batch) and the differences between the various populations (Adult, Pediatric, Neonate). Completes all required environmental cleaning procedures. Documents all required tasks and other information per policy. Understands the safe handling of hazardous drugs and demonstrated the correct receipt, storage, labelling and transport process.
8. Handles narcotic medications following all federal and legal requirements as set through policy and procedure. Understands all regulatory requirements for receiving, compounding, repackaging, and distribution for controlled substances. Consistently adheres to all storage and inventory movement documentation requirements for controlled substances.
Completion of a Pharmacy Technician Certification Program.
Requires Pharmacy Technician licensure and active Pharmacy Technician certification OR Pharmacy Intern licensure in the state of practice.
Minimum of two years pharmacy technician experience. Ability to complete moderate to difficult mathematical calculations using a hand-held calculator is required. Strong customer service focus, exceptional communication skills, strong attention to detail, prioritization capabilities, superior problem-solving skills, and ability to multi-task. Must have knowledge of computer software, particularly medication management information system software, Microsoft applications and automated dispensing systems. Must demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills for interfacing with all levels of staff, physicians, patients, and other contacts.
Employees working at Banner Behavioral Health Hospital must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment. Employees working at Banner MD Anderson or BUMC-P Whole Health Counseling must possess a State of Arizona Department of Public Safety Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
BSS Registry Team members and Travelers are not eligible to drive on behalf of Banner and are not required to possess a valid driver's license or be eligible for coverage under the company's auto insurance policy .
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Our organization supports a drug-free work environment.
Keywords: Banner Health, Sun City West , Senior Acute Pharmacy Technician, Healthcare , Sun City West, Arizona
here to apply!